Mouser Electronics, Inc., the global authorised electronic component distributor and sponsor of the Create the Future Design Contest, congratulates the winners of the 2022 contest, who will be honoured at a special awards banquet in November. Mouser’s valued manufacturers Intel® and Analog Devices, Inc. teamed with Mouser in sponsoring the 20th annual contest, produced by SAE Media Group, an SAE International Company.
“Congratulations to this amazing group of winners and to all who entered this year’s contest,” said Kevin Hess, Mouser Senior Vice President of Marketing. “Part of Mouser’s mission is fostering technical innovation, and we’re proud to support this global design contest that celebrates incredible creativity and insight into the future of technology.”
Together with COMSOL and SAE Media Group, Mouser will award the $25,000 grand prize to a team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab for their entry, FlowIO Platform, a fully integrated, miniature pneumatic development platform designed to make prototyping, innovation, and research with soft robotics quick and easy.
Finalists were selected by senior editors at SAE Media Group, producer of the contest, and judged by an independent panel of design engineers. Judges awarded the following category winners, who received prizes from HP and other companies:
• Grand Prize— FlowIO Platform
• Aerospace & Defence— The Well-Dressed Spacecraft, vibration-sensitive piezoelectric fibres and impact plasma charge-sensing conductive pile-fabric.
• Automotive/Transportation— Betterfrost Ultra-low Energy Defrost & Defog System, a solution to defrost electric vehicles’ windshields with 20 times less power than current technology.
• Consumer Product Design— Green Screen, an urban noise and building protection screen.
• Electronics/Sensors/IoT— RF Fingerprinting for Industrial IoT Security, a Wireless Intrusion Detection System.
• Manufacturing/Automation/Robotics— Large-scale 3D Printing with Tubes, a process that uses high strength-to-weight ratios to print large strong parts with minimal materials.
• Medical— The Novel Squid Glaucoma microShunt, an implant that avoids the drawbacks of current glaucoma drainage devices.
• Sustainable Technologies— SUNPave: Tomorrow’s Energy Today, proprietary solar panel technology that reduces energy costs up to 15%.
The Create the Future Design Contest brings attention to product designs that enhance quality of life, improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare or help to reduce dependence on non-renewable energy sources. The contest was created in 2002 by the publishers of Tech Briefs magazine to help stimulate and reward engineering innovation. For more information, go to https://eu.mouser.com/createthefuture/.