Ideal for battery-powered applications, Maxim Integrated’s tiny MAX77596 allows always-on operation.
Designers of USB Type-C™ small form factor devices can now create always-on rails with the ultra-low quiescent current MAX77596 buck converter from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
Next-generation products that utilize the high data rates and increased power transfer capability of USB Type-C ports will require low-voltage supply rails to power necessary Type-C port controllers. Devices utilizing the Power Delivery (PD) voltage range (5V to 20V) can now generate an always-on (1.8V/3.3V/5.0V) digital supply rail for the controller using the MAX77596. Operating from a supply as low as 3.5V and as high as 24V, the MAX77596 step-down converter can regulate from traditional 5V USB power as well as the 20V upper-end of the PD range.
Portable gadgets—such as tablets, notebooks, cameras, and drones—can easily evolve to Type-C with PD using the flexible MAX77596 power supply. Previously, customers designing in a power supply for USB Type-C port controllers had to compromise on either input voltage range, quiescent current, or size. A two-chip solution would often be required—a low input voltage linear regulator in parallel with a higher input voltage switcher to cover the wide voltage range of the PD standard. The MAX77596 has a unique combination of wide input voltage range, low quiescent current, and compact TDFN package that results in reduced design time and smaller solution size compared to a two-chip solution.
The MAX77596 buck converter offers fixed 3.3V and 5V-output versions, and an adjustable version that allows users to program the output voltage between 1V and 10V with a resistor-divider. The converter can support up to 300mA DC loads. The MAX77596 is a robust IC with short-circuit and thermal protection, 6.67ms internal soft-start minimizing inrush current, proven current-mode control architecture, and up to 42V input voltage tolerance.
- Flexible power: Wide voltage in range from 3.5V to 24V
- Ultra-low quiescent current: 1.1μA permits always-on operation
- Small solution size: 2.0mm x 2.5mm x 0.75mm 10-pin TDFN package
- Excellent line transient response: 50mVpp output when changing from 5V to 20V and back
Availability and Pricing
- Samples and evaluation kits are available for three versions of the MAX77596
- Operates across the -40-degree Celsius to +85-degree Celsius temperature range
- Pricing available upon request
- More information about the MAX77596: http://bit.ly/MAX77596
- MAX77596 evaluation kit: http://bit.ly/MAX77596EVKIT
- MAX77596 diagram image: http://bit.ly/MAX77596_diagram
- MAX77596 evaluation kit image: http://bit.ly/MAX77596EVKIT_image