New application processor to simplify low power consumption wearable device designs.
Toshiba Electronics Europe has expanded its line up of ApP LiteTM application processors for wearable devices and the Internet of Things (IoT). The TZ1201XBG is the latest addition to the TZ1000 series, and is based on a high performance 32-bit ARM® Cortex®-M4F RISC processor capable of operating at frequencies of up to 120MHz.
In addition to the 2.2MB of embedded high-speed SRAM the TZ1201XBG incorporates e•MMCTM/SDIO interfaces that support external memory ICs such as SPI NOR, SPI NAND and e•MMC. This support provides designers with the flexibility to specify the most suitable memory ICs and capacities for their devices.
Demand for high quality user experience has become of utmost importance and has been driven by an explosion of interest in wearable devices that monitor the duration and level of physical activity to promote exercise and healthy lifestyles. The integrated audio interfaces, 2D graphics accelerator and MIPI-compliant display driver ensure the highest levels of user experience.
The use of external sensors and peripheral devices that can monitor activity and movement are supported by the integrated USB, UART, SPI and I2C interfaces in combination with a compress and decompress hardware engine. In addition, an integrated 24bit ΔΣADC with analogue frontend enables a wide range of analogue sensors to be supported. This integration contributes to reduce the footprint and overall system costs.
The ARM Cortex-M4F at the heart of the TZ1201XBG features active current consumption of 78uA/MHz in normal operation mode. It works with power management software for about one week in pulse measurement applications or for about one month in watch applications with a 200mAh battery.
Data security is provided by AES and SHA256 support as well as the integration of a true random number generator. With the TZ1201XBG, designers can achieve a total solution that incorporates various sensors and supports high quality user interfaces all while achieving minimal power consumption. The TZ1201XBG measures just 8mm x 8mm x 0.6mm.
Mass production is scheduled to start in summer 2016.
* ARM and Cortex are registered trademarks of ARM Limited (or its subsidiaries) in the EU and/or elsewhere.
* e•MMC is a product category for a class of embedded memory products built to the JEDEC e•MMC Standard specification and is a trademark of the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association. The latest JEDEC e•MMC Version 5.1 specification was officially issued by JEDEC on February 24, 2015.
* ApP Lite is a trademark of Toshiba Corporation.
* MIPI is a licensed trademark of MIPI Alliance, Inc. in the U.S. and other jurisdictions
* All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
Toshiba Electronics Europe