Imagination Technologies (IMG.L) announces a new PowerVR High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) IP family designed to provide the highest quality H.265 encoding,
while optimizing silicon area and bandwidth usage. This multi standard encoder also offers high-quality H.264 encoding for compatibility with the huge range of AVC (Advanced Video Coding) decoders available today.
PowerVR Series5 video encoders are ideal for applications requiring a flexible encoder able to offer a choice of resolution and bitrate support at the highest quality, covering markets from 720p @ 30fps to 4K @ 60fps and beyond. The first three IP cores in the new series include encoders optimized for high-efficiency mass market, high-performance mainstream mobile and ultra-high definition (UHD) content creation.
HEVC/H.265 video compression technology is designed to deliver video quality comparable to content encoded in the current AVC/H.264 standard, at approximately half the bitrate – critical for transmission of HD and UHD video content over today’s limited bandwidth connections.
The new Series5 encoders are designed to deliver all the key benefits of HEVC in terms of quality and bitrate reduction relative to H264. In addition, the architecture features advanced search algorithms, a full toolset implementation and optimized rate control algorithms which enable the PowerVR solution to require typically 30% fewer bits than competing solutions to achieve the same quality. The new encoders are capable of high frame rate encoding up to 1080p @ 240fps, enabling faster than real-time transcoding, slow motion recording and multi-stream encoding. The flexibility of the new encoders can translate to numerous application-specific benefits:
• Save costs with the ability to record and store more video content in less memory space
• Reduce upload bandwidth and power required to access cloud video hosting services
• Deliver the highest possible quality for prosumer video and entry-level broadcast recording
• Minimize the required transmission bandwidth for video conferencing / streaming on a mobile device
• Enable high-quality, low-latency mirroring for video games on a TV from a mobile device or tablet in real time
• Ensure the low latency needed for safety critical applications like advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS)