Driving innovation with tiny, industry-leading packages.
Kinetis mini MCUs are Freescale’s smallest, ARM Powered® devices, being shipped in a variety of wafer-level chip-scale packages (WLCSPs). These MCUs are offered in industry-leading miniature packages, providing massive design potential for today’s embedded designers. Freescale’s WLCSP technology development has enabled smaller packages, with greater functionality, than previously seen in the market.
The Kinetis mini portfolio, which to-date has globally shipped in the millions, now include the Kinetis KL03 CSP—the world’s smallest ARM-based MCU—shrinking its predecessor by 15%, further enabling customers to reduce the size of their embedded applications.
• Intelligent wearables
• Portable medical monitoring
• Remote monitoring
• Tablet and phone accessories
Did You Know?
• 19,000 Kinetis mini MCUs fit on a piece of paper (U.S. letter size).
• 23,000 Kinetis mini MCUs fill a golf ball.
• 3.2 million Kinetis mini MCUs fill a soccer ball.
Kinetis Wafer-Level Chip-Scale MCUs
The Kinetis mini portfolio of products are assembled at the wafer level, creating the smallest form-factor package possible. They require no wire bonds or substrate interposers and use solder balls, directly attached to the silicon, to make the PCB connection.
Please refer to our Wafer-level Chipscale Package (AN3846) Application Note on freescale.com for more detailed technical information.
Software and Tools
Integrated Development Environments (IDE)
• Kinetis Design Studio IDE
• IAR Embedded Workbench, Keil MDK, Atollic, GCC
• Online enablement with ARM mbed™ development platform
Kinetis Software Development Kit (SDK)
• Extensive suite of robust HAL, peripheral drivers, stacks and middleware, with supporting software examples
• Operating system abstraction (OSA) for Freescale MQX™ RTOS, FreeRTOS, and Micrium uC/OS kernels and baremetal (no RTOS) applications
• Complimentary Processor expert software configuration tool providing IO allocation, pin initialization and configuration of hardware abstraction and peripheral drivers
• Full ARM ecosystem support
Tower System Development Platforms
The Tower System is a modular, open-sourced development platform with reusable peripheral modules, offering connectivity, analog, graphics LCD and motor control functionality. Featuring more than 50 modules, the Tower System provides designers with building blocks for their MCU development.
• Tower plug-in (TWRPI) socket
• OpenSDA debug circuit with virtual serial port
• Tower System elevator modules and Tower System peripheral modules available for additional system capability
Learn more at freescale.com/Tower.
Freescale Freedom Development Platforms
The Freescale Freedom development platform is a small, low-power, cost-effective evaluation and development system. The platform offers an easy-to-use mass-storage device mode flash programmer, a virtual serial port and classic programming and run control capabilities.
• Designed in an industry-standard compact form factor, with select boards compatible with Arduino R3, as well as third-party expansion boards.
• Easy access to the MCU I/O pins
• Integrated open standard serial and debug interface (OpenSDA)
Learn more at freescale.com/Freedom.
For more information about Kinetis mini MCUs, please visit: freescale.com/Kinetisminis
Freescale, the Freescale logo, CodeWarrior, Kinetis and Processor Expert are trademarks of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off. Tower is a trademark of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. ARM is the registered trademark of ARM Limited. ARM Powered, Cortex-M0+ and Cortex-M4 are trademarks of ARM Limited.
© 2013, 2014 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.